Friday, May 8, 2009

Harvesting Carrots...Recipe #A3 Banana Bread

Well, as Kevin would put it, we "harvested" our carrots Tuesday. I am so proud of Kevin and I. We grew these carrots from tiny little seeds and it worked!!! Oh sure, my tomatoes, squash and bell peppers are all growing too, but we actually got to eat some carrots. I tell you what, if you want your kids to eat veges, let them grow them. Since Kevin knew he grew the carrots, I had to actually tell him to stop eating so many carrots (it was close to dinner time and I didn't want him to ruin his appetite). Strange, huh? Of course, Kevin does love vegetables. He had to love them, with such a restricted diet, there wasn't much else he could eat.It's that time again, time for a new recipe. This week, as promised, is my Banana Bread recipe. My family usually requests this at least 2 times a month. Last time, Kevin instructed me to bake them in muffin pans with a cinnamon sugar topping.....pretty particular for a 5 year old. But, I have to admit, I liked them better than in a loaf pan. They stayed moist longer and we didn't have to slice it, therefore no crumbs. So, good job Chef Kevin!!!
Next week, I will post an entree. This is a recipe I created after eating something similar at a Cheesecake Factory in Boston many many years ago. Of course, I have created it around Kevin's allergy restrictions, but it is delicious.

Banana Bread

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup mashed ripe banana (2 to 3 medium bananas)
1/3 cup soy butter
2 tablespoons soy milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons water, 2 tablespoons oil, 2 teaspoons baking
powder*
Additional cinnamon & sugar - optional

Preheat oven to 350.

*Combine the water, oil and baking powder in a small bowl until powder dissolves and ingredients fizz. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, remaining 2 tsp baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add mashed banana, soy butter and soy milk. Beat with mixer till blended. Add water-oil-baking powder mixture and vanilla extract. Mix until blended.

Pour batter into a greased loaf pan. Optional, sprinkle top with additional cinnamon and sugar. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or till a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes on wire rack. Remove from pan and allow to completely cool. Wrap thoroughly when cooled.
Makes 1 - 8" loaf.

1 comment:

  1. I just added this into my WW recipe buikder to see how many points...if you can make 8 servings of it, it's 6 points...but that is using Smart Balance butter spread...I couldn't find soy butter in the WW selections and I don't know the nutritional info for it.
    I think I'm going to try it out and see how Walker likes it. I've been reading and think I may try a gluten free diet for him, if possible, to help w/his ADHD.

    ReplyDelete